Today we worked to help bring 80+ year old Jean back to her home. I dedicate my work today to my mother, who was moved from her home of 36 years to a nursing home today. And to my siblings.
Today was a much cooler day as a sheet rocker!!!! And we needed that after the unbelievable heat yesterday. We ladies spent the day mostly sanding, drilling and taping. While the guys did all the hard work...........Hanging more dry wall for us to sand, drill and tape. Yippe. Along with building some walls and other things. I have learned so much on this trip. I am a list maker. I have compiled the top 10 things I have learned as a sheet rocker newbie:
1. It is NOT just a mans job, but I am ok if they want to do it.
2. Do NOT hang dry wall in 91 degrees, with no AC. Under NO circumstances
3. There are lots of opinions on how to do it.
4. Boogers are a bad thing
5. More water is good (so says Wanda). Don says you have too much water in the mud.
6. Taping is a lot like hanging wallpaper. Just less fun
7. Taping a closet is an all day job. From now on, if I am at your house, I'm checking the dry wall in your closets.
8. Taping is better the filling screw holes - LeLoie has perfected the filling screw holes
9. Perfect is not possible. Give up trying.
10. ALWAYS hang dry wall with friends.